If you are a programmer you need to have the best programming editor. Text editor plays the primary role in any developer workspace. The project code is written, debugged and executed with the help of the text editor. The tools simplify the work environment and improve productivity at the same time. A developer wants always the best code editor for programming purposes. It can be code editors, a library to manage tasks, a framework to build your next project Many code editors in the market. But choosing the perfect text editor for your work can be a challenging task. Here is some best code editor.
Sublime Text Editor best editor in market. It is built from custom components, providing for unmatched responsiveness. From a powerful, custom cross-platform UI toolkit, to an unmatched syntax highlighting engine, Sublime Text sets the bar for performance.
Sublime Text Editor is available for Mac, Windows and Linux. One license is all you need to use Sublime Text on every computer you own, no matter what operating system it uses.
Price: Free for Trial/ $70 for continuous usage
- Multiple Selections
- Instant Project Switch
- Beginner Friendly Interface
- Easy to Use with Excellent UI and UX.
- Lightweight and speedy
- Syntax Detection and Highlighting the Error
- The code editor does not support the print option
- The quality of plugins is questionable.
- Poor Support for Linux
- Sublime text is not free.
Atom is open source text editor . Atom is a hackable text editor for the 21st Century. It comes pre-installed with four UI and eight syntax themes in both dark and light colors. It helps developer or programmer write code faster with a smart and flexible autocomplete. It works with all cross the operating system OS X, Windows, or Linux.
- Hackable to the core, thanks to the modular design used by the text editor.
- Atom is open source and free to use.
- Smart autocompletion
- Customizing UI is easier as compared to other code editors
- Special Developer Tools
- Slow as compared to other text editors
- Difficulty in handling large files
Visual Studio Code
Visual Studio Code is develop by Microsoft. It support to 30+ languages and work with all operating system. I am surprisingly it’s open-source software and you are free download. You can not paid for Microsoft product. Visual Studio is a lightweight, open-source text editor, aimed to provide seamless development experience on all the major platforms — Windows, OS X, and Linux.
- Built-in Git support
- Supports more than 30+ programming languages including Microsoft’s core language ASP.NET, C# and many more.
- The application installs in very less time due to its compact size.
- Slow to start up
- Extension support needs improvement.
Notepad++ is one of most popular text editor in the world. The text editor support multi programming languages and very fast and lightweight . The biggest advantage of Notepad++ over any other text editor listed here is the fact that it can manage huge files without any major lags or crashes.
- Launch with different arguments
- Auto-completion: Word completion, Function completion and Function parameters hint
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Full-Screen Mode
- Extensible using plugins.
- The interface supports tabbed editing.
- Does not support large files
- Needs improvements to meet current industry standards.
If your are a web designer, developer or front-end developer Brackets made for you. It is a lightweight, yet powerful, modern text editor. We blend visual tools into the editor so you get the right amount of help when you want it without getting in the way of your creative process. You’ll enjoy writing code in Brackets. It also supports CSS preprocessors like LESS and Sass.
- Regularly updated with the latest features and bug fixes.
- It is lightweight, modern and offers great UI.
- Well rounded option
- Third party plugins not allowed
- Limited support for only web languages.
- Does not support auto-completion of code
Vim is a highly configurable text editor for efficiently creating and changing any kind of text. It is included as “vi” with most UNIX systems and with Apple OS X. Vim gives you the ability to use many keyboard shortcuts to speed the editing of your code, and even better, enables you to create customized commands to fit your own editing processes.
- Support for hundreds of programming languages and file formats
- Completely keyboard based operations supported.
- Integrates with many tools
- Extensive plugin system
- Vim is open source and free to use
- No UI – navigated via keyboard
- Most of the modern programming features need to be incorporated using plugins.